Monday, May 31, 2010

Killing with Kindness

I read A Woman Killed with Kindness by Thomas Heywood in an anthology of plays, but what a tremendous work. I am definitely a romantic and somewhat of a sucker for works like this, but I could not put the play down.
It is a gorgeous play full of pathos with sublime poetry. It reminds me of Shakespeare's best work and of Alcestis by Euripides. The subtext with Sir Acton is okay, but I don't know that I buy the love at first sight scenario. This may be my 21st century bias showing.
However, the main theme of the Frankfords is so lovely and tragic. The sheer depth of Mistress Frankford's guilt is astonishing. The idea of killing oneself for shame, while quaint or zealous, is so right in the action of the play. This is love in all of its power and glory. Not the Hallmark love, but the ancient Greek love from Hesiod, who wrote about the dark power of Eros. The deathbed scene is beautiful. I really love this play!
Naturally, I am only responding to the literary aspect of this play as for most of the plays I'll read and review I have not seen them performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment