Monday, May 31, 2010

Japanese Drama

I have read only two plays from the Japanese theatre tradition, but I liked them both. "Abstraction" is very short, but it reminds me of the work of Japanese film directors like Kurosawa and a classic like Rashomon. The nature of identity and truth is slippery in this piece. At the same time, there is definite evidence of classic Japanese virtues like duty, decorum, and masculinity/patriarchy.
The second play I read is one of the Japanese Noh dramas called "Nakamitsu." What a tragic piece. The theme of duty is prevalent and is the source of much of the tragedy and in my case near anger and revulsion at what happens to some of these characters. However the themes of sacrifice, courage, and honors make for a powerful experience.
I think it is important to read works like this that are outside of the more familiar Western theatrical tradition.
Czar

No comments:

Post a Comment