Monday, May 31, 2010

Dante and Hannibal Lecter

I read Hannibal after having seen the movie. Harris is a good writer. He really seems to be comfortable with Florence and the Italian literature and culture of Dante's era. His incorporation of Dante's poem from La Vita Nuova into the action of Hannibal Lecter's life is eerie, but plausible. I don't think most people would read Dante's lines the way that Harris does, however Lecter is not supposed to be "normal." Here's an English translation of the poem that figures in the film:
"I write this piece of poetry for any soul taken by love and any noble heart,
so that they may write me back their opinion about it. I greets our lord, that is Love.
Love itself appeared suddenly to me when one third of the night had already passed.
If I think back about it I’m frightened.
Love seemed cheerful while bringing in its arms a sleeping woman wrapped in a cloth and in its hands my heart.
Love then woke her up and she ate this burning heart; it then went away crying."
Given Lecter's appetites you can imagine how he interprets this poem.

Mason Verger and his sister are much richer than they are in the film. I wonder why the director left his sister out? I also like Barney's role in the book. Clarice is pretty much the same as the film, except for the ending.
I'm not narratively convinced that Clarice would make the decision she does. Still Hannibal is a well-written and engaging novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment