Monday, May 31, 2010

Greek Pastorals

The version of The Idylls by Theocritus I read was a translation by Daryl Hine, though I cannot speak to the accuracy of the translation from the ancient Greek. Hine is somewhat chippy about other translators however.
This work is much more bawdy and erotic than I expected. Very homoerotic 'pastoral' poems that make me look at Richard Rodriguez's use "the pastoral" in a different light. I'm also reminded of Ginsburg on occasion and even hip hop, because often there is a contest of sorts between two shepherd/poets. The language is not ornamental, but rather plain like the work of Hesiod. I don't see much of the bucolic trope of later pastoral poets like Virgil or Milton. Nevertheless there is a strong undercurrent of desire in these poems.
Czar

No comments:

Post a Comment